Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Emily Carr University Identity (Idea)

What a great news! Emily Carr Institute has been upgraded to a full university, named Emily Carr University. For this change, a new identity is needed. As a student in ECU, I have the advantage of knowing well about different aspects of the school. Here I try to make-up a new identity for ECU.

To stand out from other universities like UBC and SFU, the ECU logo should feel and look very distinct. What I notice is university logos tend to use acronym, so, easily, ECU just should not have its acronym "ECU" in the logo. In addition, the current logo shows the full name "Emily Carr Institute" and it is a quite successful identity; I would like to keep it the same way.

ECU is internationally well-known. Its logo should look "international". As for typeface choice, I choose the most timeless and international font, which ECU design students including me are fond of using in many places, and which has a movie, guess which one? Helvetica! Although it does not look outstandingly fashionable currently, it will likely never be outdated. I try to put the letters as close as possible to create a sense of solidity, for ECU is a close community of art and design where people share ideas.

Now the logo looks professional and corporate enough. Nevertheless, ECU is a creative school and its logo should be creative even if not necessarily in a visual way. Thus, I come up with the idea of "i". I modify the "i" into colour stick. "I" represents an individual and his or her mind. "I" is a point of view. "I" is a spirit and principle of the school anf students. "I" can be understood in many ways. It is not a defined concept, but it allows you to think.

I gave the three "i" three different colours which represent the three most important spirits of the school and students. Green is environmental. Purple is creative. Yellow is unique. I also create three taglines for better branding effect: "I am Environmental." "I am Creative." "I am Unique." Notice, together the initials of the three adjectives form "ECU" which is the same acronym for Emily Carr University, and this is intended. Thus, "III are ECU." Make sense now!

For better visual and memorizing effect, I add some graphics. The shape of the graphics reminds me of the school buildings which are angular and rigid. Maybe adding some round corners will make it more friendly.

This is my creation of the new ECU identity.

1 comment:

Christopher Hethrington said...

Why don't you post a jpeg of your identity?